11.3.08

Enoteca San Marco




On Monday, I made my way along the ersatz Grand Canal to the ersatz Piazza San Marco, where I sat outside inside and enjoyed a perfectly pretend sunny afternoon in beautiful Venice, dining at Batali and Bastianich's Enoteca San Marco. I enjoyed a glass of Franciacorta while I lunched on housemade Bresaola (more like beef coppa, really) and salumi, little dishes of cold beets with horseradish, rapini with lemon oil, and crunchy raw brussels sprouts with pecorino cheese, and a board of lovely Italian cheeses (gorgonzola dolce, pecorino di latte crudo, and a robiola), selected from a great list of 8 or 9. The cheeses were presented with apricot mostarda, morello cherries, and black truffle honey as accompaniments.







My opinion of the Batali empire is unshaken- they seem to do great tasty authentic food at a very high level of consistency, and with very happy employees, from coast to coast. I'm sad that I didn't make it to either of the two fine dining restaurants they have in the hotel- I guess I'll just have to put a trip to Babbo on my calendar!

1 comment:

Roscoe Wetlaufer said...

that little fake itailan place, i've been there, when i was in vegas with ingrid